This is the first in a series of articles about the values we seek to embody at You’re Perfect Studio. First on our list of values is that we welcome everyone.
Being based in a state where discrimination is enshrined in law it is especially important for nondiscriminatory businesses to speak up and ensure clients, employees, and fans know that we do not engage in discrimination here. Our hometown of Bay St. Louis even has a whole All Are Welcome Here movement which we are proud to promote and participate in.
In our internally distributed Company Values Statement, our first value begins with a poem adapted from the tables of The Kings Kitchen, which provides free meals 6 days a week to our local community with no questions asked.
It doesn’t matter…
Who you are,
Where you have been,
What you are doing now, or
What others say you are.
You are welcome here.
We then describe how we interpret this concept generally:
- We value a welcoming, nonjudgmental, and forgiving attitude toward others.
- We are not a religious or non-religious organization and we value diverse viewpoints among our team members. Our members and contributors include Christians, Atheists, agnostics, Scientologists, Wiccans, Muslims, Hindus, and that’s just some of the ones that have shared their religious affiliation.
- We are not a political organization. We do not promote certain candidates or parties. Individual members and contributors are free to hold and express any political viewpoints they wish, even if unpopular.
Next, we describe how we interpret this inclusivity in terms of working with our company.
- People come all sorts of backgrounds and the extent absolutely possible we welcome anyone that enjoys volunteering, working, and/or learning with a very diverse group.
- We try to plan for erratic availability, allowing students, people with erratic schedules, those with health or mental illnesses or non-traditional lifestyles to contribute to our projects.
- We don’t ask about criminal history.
- We don’t ask political leanings.
- We don’t ask about your religious views.
- If you wish to work or volunteer with us and have special needs or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We recognize that this means we may have contributors, employees, or students with extreme political or religious views or socially unacceptable lifestyles. As long as you are able to be cordial and respectful working in a diverse group then your personal life is your business to share or not as you see fit.
We will deal with issues that arise from our extremely inclusive diversity stance on a case-by-case basis. When appropriate we will proactively manage pontential trouble spots.
There is so much good in the worst of us,Edward Wallis Hoch
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us.
Keep an eye out for our next article in this series – Our Values Part 2: We Highlight Diversity